Day Two - Thursday, June 20, 2019
Designing The EV Body Structure & Battery Pack To Avoid Safety Issues
09:00 Chair's Opening Remarks
KEYNOTE: DESIGNING TO AVOID SAFETY ISSUES
09:10 Understand Safety Requirements For EV Body Structure Crash Testing Including The Integrity Of The Battery Pack
- Understand all safety requirements for EV body structure and battery protection system
- Ensuring the structural architecture is optimized to be crash worthy to pass all safety tests
- How can the energy in an impact be managed to protect the batteries?
- Designing to avoid safety issues and strategies to optimize crash testing costs
09:40 Questions And Discussion
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE AND TESTING
09:50 Crash Testing For EV Batteries And Battery Packs- What Are The Regulatory And Compliance Essentials In Different Countries?
- What standards are in place on safety to protect batteries in an impact?
- Which approaches and specification do OEMs use internally?
- Where does the automotive community see the way forward from a safety standpoint?
- To what extent can batteries be made to a universal standard?
- Situation and lessons from overseas - the European and China markets
- Assessing the extent to which regulation in different markets impacts business case
10:20 Questions And Discussion
ENHANCING E-DRIVELINE AND NVH PERFORMANCE
10:30 Optimizing EV Noise, Vibration And Harshness (NVH) - How To Achieve Excellence In Vehicle Handling
- Key vehicle attributes and impact of electrification / battery integration - range, cost, NVH, safety, dynamics and thermal management
- Strategies for enhanced crash protection, ride handling and vehicle stiffness for better NVH performance
- New batteries, motors, and other components - best practices for integrating safety into those
- What are the structural approaches that can be used to pass stringent safety tests
- How California is leading on structural safety requirements
- Where does the automotive community see we are going from a safety standpoint?
Dr. Saeed Siavoshani, Technical Specialist, Hybridization and Electrification, Professor, EV Engineering, Wayne State University (formerly GM, Ford)
11:00 Questions And Discussion
11:10 Networking Coffee Break
OPTIMAL BATTERY INTEGRATION
11:40 Integration Of Battery Cells, Components And Electrical Communication Within The Battery Structure
- Examining the advantages, benefits and technical drawbacks of singular packs versus multiple battery configurations
- Optimal methods of holding and protecting cells in a module
- Making the battery pack denser - tighter packaging benefits in terms of increased range and reduced energy consumption by the system
12:10 Questions And Discussion
Comparing Different Approaches To Optimizing Thermal Management
PANEL: WHOLE VEHICLE THERMAL MANAGEMENT
12:20 New Technologies & Techniques For Simplifying And Taking Complexity Out Of Cooling Processes
Panellists will outline new design engineering innovations on thermal management strategies for specific vehicle segments including SUV, Sedan, City Car, Sports and Luxury EV.
- Understand the heating and cooling needs of your particular vehicle segment from an entire vehicle integration perspective
- Switching from air cooling to liquid cooling
- Future of heat pumps vs. ceramic resistive heaters in terms of energy efficiency
- Optimal heat exchange, heat management and cabin cooling
- Conclusions for integration and optimisation
- How are the batteries as well as cabling for passive cooling systems and thermal management of the battery being integrated
- Reducing cooling process complexity by creating a temperature gradient just cooling from one side as opposed to all over the battery
- Potential uses of aerodynamics for battery cooling
13:00 Networking Lunch
Ensuring Your Whole Vehicle Design Strategy Integrates All Inputs Including Design For Assembly, Manufacturing Innovation, Electrical Systems And Serviceability
14:00 Reducing EV Costs Through Design For Assembly And Manufacturability
- The need to integrate the vehicle assembly method for lowest cost during the EV development phase
- Avoiding void complex, expensive assembly processes
- Taking into account safety concerns and considerations
Thomas Westrum, Senior Vice President, Head of Digital, Uniti
14:30 Questions And Discussion
14:40 Manufacturing Innovation Needs To Meet Body Structure Evolution With Automated, Connected, Electric And Shared Vehicles
- Manufacturing implications of next generation EVs
- Taking account of the components and material life cycle
- Joining modern materials mechanically and electrically
- New types of welding technologies that can used for joining battery frame to the structure to avoid distortions and compromising the design
- Ultrasonic welding's potential with aluminium and steel
- Case study on EV manufacture with aluminum and carbon fiber
Dr. Fei Xiong, Vice President, Product Engineering, Electric Vehicles, Qiantu Motors
15:10 Questions And Discussion
15:20 Networking Coffee Break
15:50 Evolution Of Electrical-Electronic Architecture - Is The Future Centralised Or Decentralised?
- Understanding where the market is going from a voltage standpoint - Are we okay with 400V or going to 800V?
- Electrification and how it integrates into vehicle structures
- Will the battery need its own architecture?
- What does this mean for vehicle design?
16:20 Questions And Discussion
INTEGRATION OF SERVICEABILITY INTO DESIGN
16:30 Strategies For Servicing The Battery When Highly Integrated In The Vehicle Structure And Managing Impacts On Connectivity And Components
- Importance of improving ways in which the battery is connected to the vehicle for maintenance and servicing
- How do you access the cells and modules in the battery pack?
- Enhancing the connectivity and lightweighting of cooling, heating and insulation plumbing
- Consideration in battery design and development for battery swapping
Dr. Aida Rahim, Field Applications Engineer, Luna Automotive
17:00 Questions And Discussion
17:10 An OEM View On Planning For Battery Recycling And End Of Life - Reuse Vs. Recycle?
- Strategies for dealing with the batteries at the end of life
- Comparing the costs and benefits of battery re-use versus recycling
- What are the regulations on vehicle and battery recyclability and how does the EV designer factor these in?
- What will be the impact of the growth in fleet users?
Oliver Kuttner, Chief Executive Officer, Edison2
17:40 Questions And Discussion
17:50 Chair's Closing Remarks - Apple TV And Champagne Draw
18:00 End Of Conference